Week 3 Quiz
1 When ________ is of importance in decision making, group decisions are preferred to individual decisions.
- clear responsibility
- acceptance of solution
2 Shirley Shands is a hard worker but Debra, her manager, is irritated with her. While Debra concedes that Shirley’s work gives her no cause for complaint, Debra is tired of the interruptions in her work because of Shirley asking for repeated clarifications over what exactly she has to say in e-mails or phone calls. She often requests Debra to proofread her e-mails before sending them, and Debra feels she sends too many e-mails instead of just speaking to the person concerned. From the scenario, we can conclude that ________.
- Shirley uses filtering when communicating with Debra
- Debra is engaging in social loafing
- Shirley suffers from communication apprehension
- Shirley and Debra come from a high-context culture
3 ________ is defined as a phenomenon in which the norm for consensus overrides the realistic appraisal of alternative courses of action.
- In-group favoritism
- Social loafing
4 Which of the following is a unique advantage of lateral communication?
- Lateral communication helps in the transmission of ideas and information.
- Lateral communication occurring with management’s knowledge and support can be beneficial even if it does not follow the formal vertical structure.
- Lateral communication facilitates emotional expression, enhances motivation, and helps the organization control its employees effectively.
- Lateral communication facilitates coordination at the intradepartmental level.
5 Which of the following statements is true regarding conflict?
- The smaller the group, the greater the likelihood of conflict.
- Diversity of goals among groups is a major source of conflict.
- The less specialized the activities of the group, the greater the likelihood of conflict.
- People low in the personality traits of disagreeableness, neuroticism, or self-monitoring are more likely to engage in a conflict.
6 A collectivist Chinese manager is most likely to use which of the following techniques for conflict management?
- Authoritative command
- Direct confrontation
7 Peter is working on a project. He feels that the parameters need to be changed to meet client specifications. First, he must talk to his immediate supervisor, who will then discuss the issue with her department director before any change can be implemented. Peter is most likely to be a part of the ________ type of small-group communication networks.
- star network
- chain network
- mesh network
- all-channel network
8 Matt works as a sales representative at Tandem Industries which manufactures and sells bicycles. He is the best salesperson on the floor, but he also receives the highest number of customer complaints for late deliveries. Which of the following, if true, best explains this situation?
- The company’s sales and logistics functions are tightly integrated.
- The company uses enterprise solutions to manage inventory.
- The company keeps inventory levels low in order to reduce costs.
- The company’s manufacturing facility is functioning at optimum capacity.
9 The ________ view of conflict focuses on productive resolution of conflicts.
10 The time attendance system in the production division at MM, an automobile manufacturing company, was malfunctioning. Consequently, Greg Hill, one of the front-level managers sent it for repair. In the meantime, he placed a register where all workers of the production division had to provide their time of entry and exit from the office. At the end of the week, when looking through the time logs, he had certain concerns about a group of employees. In the next week, he personally tracked the time this group of employees spent working and realized that they were reporting a greater number of working hours than they actually worked. This group engaged in a barrier to communication called
- communication apprehension
11 To retain its edge in the organic health food market, Natura has established a high-priority team comprised of senior executives from the company’s production, marketing, and research divisions. These employees work together closely to study consumer attitudes about organic health foods and come up with a closely monitored development and marketing strategy for new products. This ensures that each division is informed of the specific needs, timelines, and expected outcomes of the strategy. It also makes Natura a company that adapts to changes in market trends swiftly. The team Natura uses here is of the ________ type.
- self-managed work
12 When ________, the result is role conflict.
- compliance with one role requirement may make it difficult to comply with another
- compliance with the group is marked by a tendency to notice and emphasize those aspects of the group that are distinctive
- compliance with the group is an attempt to understand who we are and how we fit into the world
- compliance with one role aids our performance in another role
13 Most people assume that a police officer should behave in a lawful manner, refrain from demonstrating favoritism to any particular group, and do his or her best to uphold the law. Which of the following terms best represents these beliefs?
- Role expectation
- Dispersion of responsibility
14 Genepa Corporation manufactures home appliances and other electronic products. Genepa is planning to introduce a new refrigerator model. The marketing manager at Genepa has developed a marketing plan for this new product and wants to communicate this plan to all the employees in the marketing department. Which of the following is most likely to be the best form of communication for communicating this plan?
- Nonverbal communication
- Grapevine communication
- Oral communication
- Written communication
15 Synergy Inc. has recently assigned some of its best employees to form a cross-functional team and complete a project from a new client. Many of the employees on this team are apprehensive about the structure and dynamics of how they will function as a group and accomplish this goal. To energize the employees, their immediate manager is holding a meeting with them next week where he will provide them some additional training in strategies and methods that may work well for the team. The manager’s initiative to hold this meeting fulfills the ________ function of communication
- emotional expression
16 As a consequence of the information circulated by the grapevine in an organization, employees experience
- increased member satisfaction
- increased certainty
- increased anxiety
- increased power
17 Which of the following terms best describes the process that occurs when two or more parties decide how to allocate scarce resources?
18 Janice Cooper has recently joined a hospital as a part of the internship program prescribed by the nursing school she attends. Janice, who was inspired to take up this profession by the story of Florence Nightingale, had very strong ideals about how she should behave as a nurse. She felt that as a nurse, she must be gentle, pleasant, and caring at all times so she could serve her patients well, and she often went to great lengths as an intern by putting in extra hours at the hospital and so on. The scenario reflects Janice’s
- role fuzziness
- role perception
- role conflict
- role ambiguity
19 ________ teams are defined as groups of employees who perform highly related or interdependent jobs and take on many of the responsibilities of their former supervisors.
- Self-managed work
Which of the following forms of communication is characterized by the use of only body movements, intonations, facial expressions, and physical distance to communicate?
- Downward communication
- Written communication
- Nonverbal communication
- Lateral communication
21 Jordan is a sales officer who has been underperforming over the last three months. At the last monthly operations cycle meeting, he was given a warning. As the time for the next meeting draws close, Jordan fears his boss reprimanding him. Two days before the meeting, Jordan informs his manager that he has confirmed six deals in the last few days, one of which involves multiple orders for their machines. He, however, skips the detail that these are the only six orders he has been able to obtain in the whole month. Which one of the barriers to effective communication is depicted here?
- Information overload
22 With reference to the team effectiveness model, which of the following is one of the key components of an effective team, included under the category of contextual factors?
- Team efficacy
- Social loafing
- Climate of trust
- Common purpose
23 The two general approaches to negotiation are ________ bargaining and ________ bargaining.
- formal; informal
- distributive; integrative
- emotional; rational
- affective; reflective
24 Bonnie Patterson has been a manager for seven years at Wayne and Watson, a legal consultancy firm. A good part of her workday involves holding meetings and she likes to do work on a time-bound schedule. For this reason, members of her team receive the agenda at the beginning of the meeting, followed by some time to contemplate over the issue at hand individually. Subsequently, the team members present their ideas one after the other, the group discusses them together, and lastly, a ranking is done to choose the most favored idea. This represents the ________ approach of group decision making.
- reference group
- nominal group
25 The informal communication network in an organization is
- determined by organization
- based on clear and factual information
- characterized by ambiguity
- rooted in issues of minimal importance to employees
26 When one person seeks to satisfy his or her own interests regardless of the impact on the other parties to the conflict, that person is using the conflict-handling intention of
27 Which of the following is desirable when a crucial project is delegated to a virtual team?
- Promoting a sense of independence over group spirit to encourage competition
- Engaging in close monitoring of the work being done by the team throughout the project
- Avoiding publicity of the team’s progress and success in the organization
- Discouraging the sharing of unique information as it benefits some employees unfairly
Other samples, services and questions:
When you use PaperHelp, you save one valuable — TIME
You can spend it for more important things than paper writing.